Monday, January 9, 2012

Weekly Weigh-In, and a minor setback

I am typing this from my spot on the couch, that I haven't left in a while. I'm sick, and have been since Thursday. I have bronchitis that was thisclose to turning into pneumonia. Not only am I on antibiotics (to hopefully stop the development of pneumonia, and keep me safe from other germs while the bronchitis gets better), I have a round of steroid pills and TWO inhalers. I've also been expressly told to avoid the gym (or any other activity that can cause unnecessary physical exertion) for the next two weeks. This puts a serious damper on my momentum, though I understand why. If I do anything to aggravate my bronchial passages, I can cause this bronchitis to land me in the hospital, and we don't want that. If it turns into pneumonia because I don't rest enough, I land in the hospital. We'd like me to stay out of the hospital at all costs, even if this means giving up the gym for two weeks. At least it isn't forever. And it'll be nice to breathe clear and strong when I'm there, right?

My plans, since I can't go to the gym, have had to be adjusted a little now. All I really can do is try to eat as well as I can and stay within my calorie range, and hope for the best. I may do a round of the South Beach diet Phase 1 just to make sure I'm doing all I can. And I'll be able to rest assured that I'm feeding my body the vitamins, minerals, and lean proteins it needs to get better.

JP also bought me some new vitamins today from GNC. They are called "GNC Women's Ultra Mega for Energy and Metabolism". A quick run down of what's inside: 100% DV (Daily Value) Vitamin A, E, K, Iron, Iodine, Folic Acid, Biotin (healthy hair and nails, ladies), Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Chromium, and Molybdenum, 333% DV Vitamin C, 400% DV Vitamin D (which is important during winter when the sun isn't out as much), 2500% DV Vitamin B-6, 833% Vitamin B-12....tons of other vitamins and minerals, as well as a Metabolism & Energy Blend (which is black pepper extract, caffeine, capsicum seed), Green Tea extract, Lycopene, and more. They're the full deal when it comes to vitamins, and I'm excited to try them.

In my down time, I'm also going to read a few books. I'm going to re-read Run Like A Mother by Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen-Shea as motivation to start running, and I'm currently reading "Working Out Sucks" by the founder of my gym, Anytime Fitness, Chuck Runyon. I'm only about 30 pages into this one and I love it. I'm planning on writing a review of each of these, too.

So on to what you've been waiting for...my weekly weigh in. I couldn't do it at the gym today, obviously, but I was at the doctor's this morning, and they weighed me there. I asked if their scale was calibrated and they said yes, it was accurate within a half of a pound.

The number on the scale, after a week that was shaky at best (due to sickness):
190

That was with clothes on, so if I do the typical subtraction of 1lb for clothing, I'm at 189, and that is a FIVE POUND weight loss!!

Five pounds!! I was hoping for just two, so I'll for sure take five. I'm fairly certain most of this was due to lack of appetite from being sick (though I've been trying to eat healthy foods like veggies, fruit, and low-sodium soup) but it was nice to see that this week hasn't been totally blown by this stupid sickness.

My calorie burn total for the week was around 3000. This, of course, wasn't where I wanted it to be because I couldn't go to the gym (it's hard to walk on the treadmill when you don't have the lung capacity to make it from the bedroom to the kitchen without wheezing...stupid bronchitis) but I'm happy with what I did accomplish.

On myfitnesspal, I managed to stay around 300 calories under my projected goal, thanks to the calories I burned working out (and lack of appetite). This number isn't so low that I get the message telling me I'm eating too few calories, and it isn't over the allotment per day. I need to tweak a couple of areas in my diet-mainly add a few more veggies. I did great this first week with portion control, healthy snacks, and fruit. I just didn't eat enough vegetables.

All things considered, I'm pleased with this week, and glad it's in the books. I'm hoping to have as much success the next two weeks, even though I'm going to be mostly sedentary.


No comments:

Post a Comment