Monday, January 2, 2012

Another recipe share: Breakfast Sandwich made better!

Breakfast is absolutely my biggest struggle. Too often, I have run out the door in a hurry and skipped the most important meal of the day. Then, I get to work and eat like crap, picking something sugary and not filling. Not only is it bad for me, but I spend money I don't need to.

Again, I'm going to give praise to the Cook Yourself Thin cookbook. These are supposed to be quick meals, and they are. They know we all have more to do than spend an hour concocting breakfast.

This morning, I had this amazing Breakfast Sandwich:



Serves 4
Calories per serving (minus fruit): 306

2 tablespoons white vinegar
4 whole wheat English Muffins
4 slices low-fat cheese (if you can find fat free cheese, you can save yourself a few calories)
4 deli-thin slices of low fat, low sodium ham
4 large eggs
4 slices tomato (I don't eat tomatoes, so I cut up a few slices of red pepper and onion)
Spritz of olive oil
1/2 tablespoon of dried oregano
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 350. Fill a large, deep skillet of water to a depth of about 4 inches. Add vinegar and bring to a steady simmer. This is going to poach the eggs, rather than fry them.

Arrange the muffin halves on a baking sheet. Place a slice of cheese on each of the bottom halves (tear off any cheese hanging over the edges so it doesn't burn in your oven). Cut the slice of ham into shreds or ribbons and place on top of the cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake until cheese melts and top halves are toasted, which is about 4 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut the slices of tomato (or in my case, red pepper and onion) and spritz each slice with olive oil (I don't have a spritzer, so I just put a quarter sized drop of olive oil in a skillet and heated it). Saute the tomato or vegetable slices for about one to two minutes each, then season with salt, pepper, and dried oregano.

Break one egg in a small bowl. Hold the edge of the bowl close to the simmering water (the closer you get, the more round and pretty your egg will be), and pour your egg into the water. Repeat with the remaining three eggs. Cook until whites are solid and the yolk is still runny, about 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully remove the eggs one at a time with a slotted spoon and put on a plate with a paper towel to drain excess water.

Remove the muffin halves from the oven and transfer to plates. Place a slice of tomato (or your veggies of choice) on top of the ham and top with a poached egg. Season with a little salt and pepper and top with the other half of the muffin. Serve and enjoy.


I went ahead and made JP one of these this morning, even though he won't get up until later. I'm going to try to see how well they reheat. If they reheat well enough, then I can make them ahead of time (like the night before) and just heat them up and run out the door. I'll let you know how that turns out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment