Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Don't trust the scale (and other lessons I've learned so far)

We're about two months into my journey. I am happy with my results thus far, even though I feel like I'm not as far along as I should be. In just two months, I feel like I've already learned so much, and that I am making great strides into permanently changing my fitness and eating habits. Of course, along the way, there have come some life lessons. I'd like to take a few minutes to share these with you. Maybe in another few months, I'll revisit these and see if my opinions have changed.


1. The scale is not the be-all, end-all indicator of progress. In fact, as far as progress indicators go, I'm learning that the scale should actually be the last place I go to "check up" on myself. There are so many other ways to see how far one has progressed in getting fit. For instance, I have had very little movement on the scale in the last 3 or 4 weeks. Granted, I have had some slip-ups as far as eating healthy, but I have also been going to the gym and doing more physical activity than I had in the past. I let this consistent number on the scale get to me, and I shouldn't have, because when I began to measure myself (a better progress indicator), I discovered I had lost another few inches in my waist. I have also been wearing some clothing I hadn't been able to in a long time, which means that my body is changing. I've noticed that I am able to do more at the gym, too. At first, I would get a mile or two out on the treadmill, and that was it- I was spent. Now, I am getting a mile or two out on the treadmill while carrying on a conversation (Hello, stamina! Nice to get re-acquainted with you!) and then hop off and go to 35-45 minutes of pretty high impact aerobics. Sometimes, I feel like I could still keep going, even after that, but by that time it's usually late and I have to go pick up L. So, when I do go get her, I still have energy to come home, play with her, clean, cook, etc. I'm also sleeping better (though, still not great, I am averaging a few more hours per night), waking up earlier (without that tired, dragging feeling) and I'm pushing through that afternoon slump without getting a coke or candy. All of this is improvement, and better indicators of the progress I'm making than the stupid scale.

2. I don't like celery. But, I'm eating it anyway. Why? Because it's very healthy, and makes a very filling snack. I am limited as to what I can snack on at my desk, and I like to change it up so I don't get bored eating the same fruits, veggies, or nuts every single day. I also don't like plain bananas, but I am working on sneaking them into my diet more. I can't peel and eat a banana- it's the texture, not the taste (for the most part) that gets me- but I can eat them, blended in a smoothie. So, because bananas are extremely healthy (and I can always use potassium to help with leg cramps and such), I do that. I don't always want a banana in my smoothie, but I always put one in. Sometimes, you have to just suck it up and do what is healthy. (Note: This does not mean you're going to see me munching on tomatoes anytime soon...but I am working on avocados.)

3. I actually don't mind working out. Most of the time, I even look forward to it, and find myself disappointed when I miss a day I had planned on. I used to wrack my brain everyday, trying to think of excuses not to work out (and I felt like I had a pretty decent arsenal, too-- I have too much to do at home, I didn't sleep well, I don't feel good, L is grouchy, I don't have time, etc, etc). If I had to miss a day...yea, I wasn't disappointed. I didn't want to go-- because, I realize now, I didn't actually care about my health/fitness. Now that I have changed my mindset, when I have to miss a day for whatever reason (there are actual reasons that one might have to miss going to the gym, like getting sick with bronchitis), it makes me so frustrated. I feel like I'm sabotaging myself, even if I can't go to the gym because of something totally out of my control.

4. Working up a sweat does make you feel better! On the days where I have no reason not to go to the gym (no plans, no need to pick L up right after work, etc), but don't feel well, it's hard to get motivated to go. But, I've found that on those days, if I can get myself through the door at the gym and into my workout clothes, I end up leaving (after my workout) feeling much better. I usually convince myself to go by telling myself "Just 2 miles on the treadmill" or "Just a half hour on the stationary bike...you can do this." By the time I'm done with my 2 miles or half hour, I'm sweaty, my heart is pumping, and I actually feel better. Sometimes I stay and do some more, and then sometimes I just stick to my word and go home afterwards, but either way, I end up glad I went. If I'm in a bad mood, frustrated, or stressed about something, it's the same deal. I have to force myself to go but I feel so much better afterwards.

5. Eating healthy isn't harder or more expensive than eating bad. Contrary to popular belief (or what McDonald's Dollar Menu would lead you to believe), it is not more expensive or less convenient to eat healthy. At first glance, it can seem misleading when you can spend $3.28 and get a McDouble, small fries, and a large Sweet Tea, that you can get anything healthy for anywhere close to the same price. But when you really think about it, buying groceries and fixing them yourself (and eating leftovers) is a cheaper and healthier way to go. I can spend about $10 and get a bunch of fresh veggies, salad greens, a protein (like a chicken breast) and dressing for a salad that will feed JP and I both for at least 2 meals each. It's more filling (both in terms of fullness and vitamins/nutritional value) and costs less than the calorie/fat/sodium laden fast food. And as far as convenience goes, popping a container of leftovers in a microwave at the office beats sitting in a car breathing in someone else's exhaust fumes at the drive thru. AND, if leftovers aren't your thing, there are plenty of frozen meals now that are healthy (Kashi makes a few really awesome ones) that are less than $5 a meal.
6. I may never run on the treadmill. But I will, eventually, run. To date, I am still afraid to run on the treadmill. I have decided to go at my own pace there, and as the weather gets warmer, do more attempted runs outside. If I eventually can run on the treadmill without paralyzing fear of flying off the back, great. If I never do more than a very, very brisk walk on the treadmill but start knocking out some miles outdoors, that's great too. Just as great.

No comments:

Post a Comment